06 Sep armchair upholstery material
What you may need: Fabric. We took a chair seat into Fabrics That Go, 3105 N. Campbell Ave.,fabrics that go 3105 n. campbell and a employees member found out the yardage and helped us make an applicable choice; foam if you’re going to substitute the innards of the seat; a screwdriver, electric or guide to remove and reattach the seats; a staple remover and needle-nostril pliers; scissors and/or a rotary cutter; a heavy-duty stapler and extra staples; measuring tape; ruler, and straight pins. Ann works off her dining room table and lays down a slicing board for fabric, particularly important if you’re going to make use of the rotary cutter.
A word concerning the padding: You solely have to replace the foam if the seats have lost their comfort or have some severe sag. Foam padding will break down after years of sitting and spills. In the event you resolve you want to vary the padding, most fabric stores will help you select the style and will custom cut the foam. Watch for the technical machine used to chop that foam — an electric kitchen knife.
2. Remove the present covers. That is an non-compulsory step. If you happen to don’t must replace the foam, you may cover right over the present covers.
However it is best to undoubtedly take away the present covers if they’re heavily-textured fabric and you’re protecting with a thinner, lighter fabric. The texture will give an uneven floor.
You’ll additionally need to remove if there are stains which will bleed into the brand new fabric.
If you decide to take away the covers: Flip the seat over and you’ll discover the material is stapled on — simply what you’ll do with the brand new covers. Use a staple remover to tug out the staples — some may break off; this is the place the needle nostril pliers are available in helpful. You probably have piping across the edges, take away that too.
A bonus to removing: You can use the present materials as a pattern to measure the brand new covering.
3. Measure the width, depth and size of the seat. Be sure to measure at the widest factors. Add two inches to each side — the additional material you’ll need to fold over the edges of the chair.
4. Lower the fabric. This may be difficult you probably have a pattern that needs to be lined up, reminiscent of stripes or plaids.
In case your fabric has a discernible design or there is a component you want to be outstanding or centered, place the seat on the fabric and mark with pins earlier than reducing.
Ours was a no-fear sample — that’s, there’s nothing we had to match, however we did take care to guantee that we cut it so that the sample was parallel to the chair frame. A ruler alongside facet the scissors helped information a straight cut.
The grainline of the fabric, parallel to the finished edge, should run lengthwise, front to back, of the seat cover.
5. Attach the fabric. Together with your fabric incorrect aspect up, put the seat in the middle, checking to verify the material overlap on each facet is sufficient to fold over. Fold the fabric over the sting of a facet and staple from the middle out towards the edge, stopping wanting the corners. Repeat the process on the other aspect of the chair, then at the again after which the front aspect.
Tug tightly and check regularly to verify you have not left any bubbles or wrinkles. Keep that staple puller useful in case you have to yank out just a few to smooth the fabric.
The staples should be about ½ inch apart along the length of the fabric.
6. Conquer the corners. This may be the hardest a part of all. Consider it as though you had been folding over the corners of a gift you might be wrapping, or a bit like folding hospital corners on a bed.
With the sting of the front or the back of the seat facing you, clean the fabric from nook to corner alongside one edge of the seat frame. Fold one of many perpendicular edges of the fabric smoothly around the corner to create a 45-diploma angle (roughly, nobody’s getting out a protractor). Fold and staple. Repeat on the other three corners, however you knew that.
You too can grasp one corner of your seat cowl fabric, pull the point toward the middle of the seat cushion and staple. Then arrange the remaining nook fabric into tiny pleats. Pull tightly and staple. Some brave souls clip the fabric on the corners so it lays smoother. That wasn’t us, however it is likely to be mandatory in case your fabric is very heavy.
The factor to recollect on the corners: Keep the precise side of the fabric (the seat cover that may present) tight and straight. That means loads of smoothing and pulling. On most chairs, the actual folds at the corners will likely be nestled into the chair frame and won’t show.
Trim excess materials from the underside of the seat. In case your fabric is prone to raveling, you will want to cover it with a chunk of skinny nonwoven fabric. Lower it about 1½ inches smaller than the seat, middle this fabric over the underside of the seat and staple close to its edge. It should overlap the brand new fabric about ½ inch, and canopy the uncooked edge and staples.
7. We’re almost accomplished; screw the seats back in: Before screwing those seats again in, though, think back to what the chairs have been like earlier than you changed the upholstery. Yup, a mess. Now is the time to spray fabric protector on them. Do that outside due to the fumes. Let the seatcovers dry. Screw the seats back in. Stand again and admire your work. Rely the money you’ve saved doing it your self.